What to Do When Your Tween-to-Teen is Self-Harming
Discovering that your tween or teen is intentionally hurting him or herself can be incredibly disturbing. Unfortunately, self-harm is very common with as many as 25% of all teenagers engaging in it.
Self-harm, often in the form of cutting, burning or hair pulling, is the physical expression of hidden mental pain Children may begin cutting or engaging in other forms of self-harm when their mental pain reaches a level that they can no longer deal with.
Over the years, I have worked with hundreds of children and their families who have been affected by self-harm, and the feelings they experience are all the same
- lack of understanding
- withdrawal and isolation
- fear and worry
When teens feel sad, distressed, worried, sad or confused, the emotions might be so extreme that they lead to acts of self-injury. IN that moment, you child may feel that self-harm is helping to relieve those feeling, making it feel like it is the proper fix or coping tool for pain. And, while controlling emotional pain with physical pain makes may make your child feel better in the moment, the emotional pain will return.
Your tween or teen needs your understanding and your support.
That is exactly why I created What To Do When your Tween-to-Teen is Self-Harming. With this What to Do When essential, you can:
- know the signs of self-harming behaviors
- understand the difference between self-harm and suicide
- learn how to talk with your tween or teen
- help your child find alternative coping skills
- identify a mental health provider that can help your child manage their behaviors and discover any co-occuring concerns
- manager your own feelings
- how to support your child so they feel loved
A private one-hour session with me costs $200.
What to Do When gives you my expert advice for a fraction of that price.
For just $39.95, you will receive…
- The What to Do When essential lesson, What to Do When Your Tween-to-Teen is Self-Harming, delivered in multiple forms: video, audio and transcript - so you an get the information how you want it.
- The What to Do When Essential printables on starting conversations, asking the “right” questions, and more. (so much good stuff in these printables!!)
- The What to Do When Essential Toolbox with my top tricks, tools, and expert advice to help you support your child during this stage of life.
- Access to our private message forum in the What to Do When library to connect with me, my team and other parents and caring adults.
- Access to all future updates and additional checklist, printables and surprises. (I love surprising you with new stuff!!)
This product is for you if:
- you want to improve the relationship with your child
- you want your child to feel supported
- you are able to help your child seek additional support
- your want to learn about what self-harm is and isn’t
- you want to have courageous conversations with your chid about real issues that happen in his or her life (FYI…your child is experiencing these things every day at school)
- you are want to be proactive
- you want your child to know he or she isn’t alone or powerless
- there is a current suspicions or concerns regarding self-harming behaviors
This program isn’t for those who…
- think your child is bad for self-harming
- think self-harming isn’t a big deal
- that it is just a phase
- that your child wants you to feel sorry for them
- pretend it will go away
- want to blame others or shame your child
- feel your child is a problem to be fixed
- are looking for a magic pill, quick fix or one-size-fits-all solution
Your tween or teen needs to feel a sense of peace; he or she needs to feel appreciated and know that you will be there for them unconditionally. With patience, compassion and understanding, you can get through this.
Each month, I offer a 60-minute an private group call to ask me anything you like. Access to this call is by invitation only. When you purchase the entire What to Do When library at just $350 (a $40 discount), you will receive access to this group for two months. ($400 value!) Whoa. That’s $790 for just $350.)
Purchase the full What to Do When essentials library now